Alexander Ostrovsky statue

Alexander Ostrovsky statue, Moscow, public art

Public Art : Alexander Ostrovsky statue

Sculptor: © Nickolay Andreyev (1873–1932)

Description: A bronze statue of the burly Russian playwright Ostrovsky (1823-1886), who is considered one of the most important Russian playwrights of the 19th century .The seated  depiction looks very similar to the portrait of Aleksandr Ostrovsky by Vasiliy Perov.

Date Unveiled: May 27, 1929

Location: The Ostrovsky statue stands outside the Maly Theatre ("The Ostrovsky house") in Moscow, Russia. This was where all his plays were staged.

Things You May Not Know About Aleksandr Ostrovsky :

To this day his dramas are among the most widely read and frequently performed stage pieces in Russia.

His literary writings included 47 original plays, 22 plays he translated from Italian, French, Spanish, and Latin, and 7 plays he co-authored with various writers.

Turgenev wrote "Nobody has had such glorious, tasteful and clear Russian language before Ostrovsky,"

Sculptor Trivia:

In the 1900s the sculptor Andreyev fell foul of Stalin, who hated his interpretation of a seated bronze of famous Russian writer Gogol, which he called dark. It was later removed in 1952 and replaced with a more Soviet-style representation of Gogol by sculptor Nikolai Tomsky.

Further fury followed when Andreyev produced a realist style drawing of Stalin in 1922. The drawing included Stalin's pockmarked face and dodgy arm . Despite signing the piece, Stalin later turned on the sculptor, stating he had no idea about human anatomy.

Another work by sculptor Andreyev, the statue of Liberty atop the "Freedom" obelisk, erected to commemorate the Soviet Constitution, was blown up in 1941 during “ the reconstruction of Gorky Street,” and under orders of Stalin. It was replaced with the equestrian statue of Yuri Dolgorukiy. The head of Liberty was sneakily pulled by a female curator of the Tretyakov Gallery despite the area being heavily guarded. It is rumored she jumped from a taxi, climbed a fence and grabbed the only thing left, Liberty's head. The staff, in fear of being caught with the object hid the head in one of their cellars in the Tretyakov Gallery and wasn't listed in the gallery’s catalogue until the 1950s. It was put on public display for the first time in 1967. Over the decades their have been several moves to have a new "Freedom" obelisk erected but so far none have ever eventuated . It was written that “Twentieth century Russia passed into history as the only country in the world which blew up the symbol of its own freedom”

Bookmark this page
Facebook Twitter Technorati Stumbleupon Reddit Google Bookmarks Digg

RSS  Public-Art-Around-The-World

 

If All Else Fails, Search!