Arnold Cook Memorial
Public Art : Arnold Cook Memorial
Sculptor : © Greg James
Description : A bronze statue of Dr Arnold Cook and
his famous guidedog
Date Unveiled : The sculpture was unveiled by Mrs
Ruth Reid on 4th December 1989.
Location : Entrance to the Ivy Watson Playground,
DR.ARNOLD COOK 1922-1981
Dr Arnold Cook who became totally blind at the age of eighteen. Pioneered the famous guidedog movement
in Australia. Indeed in the whole Southern Hemisphere. These remarkable dogs provide their owners with
a much valued means of independent travel. Thanks to Arnold Cook the first training centre was
established in this state although it was later moved to Melbourne.
Dr Cook was a senior lecturer in economics at the University of W.A. but he found time to promote the
interests of his fellow blind people in education. Business and the professions he founded and
developed the WA Guild of Blind Ctizens whose motto "New horizons for the blind" which it persues
through its provision of a range of personal services to blind individuals and by acting as a
"watchdog" whenever the interests of the blind are involved.
Shortly before his death in 1981 Dr.Cook founded another organization concerned with the blind, a
research foundation for the eye disease Retinitis Pigmentosa. All Arnold's initiatives in blind welfare
were crowned with success.
This sculpture was erected on behalf of all Western Australians by the W.A. Guild of Blind Citizens.
The site was dedicated on the15th October 1986 by His Excellency Professor Gordon Reid A.C. Governor of
Western Australia.The sculpture was unveiled by Mrs Ruth Reid on 4th December 1989.
Sculptor Greg James
Who was Arnold Cook?