Public Art : Bismarck Memorial
Sculptor : © Reinhold
Date : The Bismarck Memorial was
unveiled in 1906.
Description : The bronze and granite
memorial includes a bronze Prince Otto von Bismarck in his ceremonial garb as Chancellor standing above four
statues. The four bronze statues depict; Atlas carrying the world on his shoulders (symbolizing Germany's
world dominance); Siegfried forging the Imperial sword (symbolizing Germany's strong industrial and
military strength); Germania, with a dead panther under her foot (symbolizing the suppression
of rebellion against the government); and finally Sibyl perched on a sphinx reading the book of history
Original Location : The Bismarck
Memorial was originally located in front of the Reichstag building but was moved in 1938
by Adolph Hitler.
Present Location : Located in the
Tiergarten in Berlin, Germany.
History of the Bismarck Memorial : The
statue of Bismarck and the Berlin Victory column were both originally located in front of the Reichstag building before Hilter decided to have them moved in
1938, in his master plan to rebuild Berlin as the world capital "Welthauptstadt Germania". In hindsight it was a
fortuitous move because the old garden in front of the Reichstag where it once stood was totally obliterated during
World War II.
Interesting Tidbits : The statue did receive
considerable amount of shrapnel damage during World War II.
The statue weighs 625,000kg.
Acknowledgements: Thank you to Dr Andrew
Taylor for kindly providing the
Works of Reinhold Begas :