Carnarvon War Memorial
Public Art : Carnarvon War Memorial
Sculptor : unknown
Date Unveiled : 1923
Location : Corner of Francis and Stuart Street,
Carnarvon, Western Australia
|Erected in honour of our soldiers who served the Empire in the Great War 1914 - 1918
- Pro Patria.
H.M.A.S. Sydney Wall of Remembrance. Dedicated to the memory of the 645 officers and crew of HMAS
Sydney lost in action with the German Raider HSK Kormoran off the coast of Carnarvon 19 November 1941.
A joint venture by the Naval Association of Australia Carnarvon Sub Section and the Gascoyne Sub Branch
Returned and Services League of Australia. Unveiled by Rear Admiral D.G. Holthouse A.O. RA.N. 23
History of the Carnarvon War Memorial : The War
Memorial in Carnarvon was originally shipped from Perth and erected in 1923 to serve as a reminder of the tragic
loss of life in the Great War 1914-1918. Over the ensuing years plaques for the Second World War, Korean and
Vietnam Wars were added. On the 23rd of November, 1991, the H.M.A.S. Sydney Wall of Remembrance was unveiled and
resides behind the original memorial.
LEST WE FORGET