Public Art : Deepwater Jetty (OK, technically not
public art but it does have a plaque!)
Architect : Unknown
Description : The last remaining structure
left of the Deepwater Jetty
Location : The last remnants of Deepwater Jetty can
be found along Princess Royal Drive, Albany, Western Australia
The Deepwater Jetty
In June 1884 Mr A Horden representing Western
Australian Land Company was awarded a contract by
the Western Australian Colonial Government to Build
the jetty and a railway connecting Albany to Perth.
Construction of the jetty began on the 29th March 1888
and it was opened on the 15th December 1888.
The jetty was 549m long and 6.71m wide for the first
335.5m and 12.81m wide for the remaining 213.5m.
The railway began on the jetty and allowed ships
to discharge cargos and passengers directly onto the
steam train for Perth. It was an important harbour facility
when Albany was Western Australia's principal
In 1915 a 306.22m arm was added to the west side.
In 1972 the original arm and head was demolished.
The west arm was demolished in 1993.