Diana and the Hounds
Public Art: Diana and the Hounds
Sculptor: © William Leslie Bowles
Date: September 4th, 1940.
Description: Life size bronze statue on a granite
pedestal in a lily pond, depicting a topless Diana, taking the lead, as her hounds dance around about her.
Foundry: Statue cast at A.B Brunton of London
Cost : £750
Location: In a lily pond outside the Melbourne
conservatory in Fitzroy Gardens, Melbourne, Australia.
History: In 1935 William Leslie Bowle had three of
his designs chosen to be displayed in the Fitzroy Gardens, The Boy and the Pelican, Mermaid and
Fish and Diana and the Hounds. The statue of Diana and the Hounds was unveiled by
Lord Mayor Cr Coles on September 4th, 1940, replacing a cement statue which was located at the front of the
Conservatory. The cement statue was a copy of the Roman Diana, Goddess of Mood and Contemplation (of which
the original resides at the Vatican, Italy). The Diana and the Hounds statue was cast in
London during World War II and on its journey by sea to Australia, had to dodge German submarines.
Other Public Art Depicting Diana (Goddess of
Archibald Fountain (Sydney)