Five Points Sculpture

Five Points Sculpture, Atlanta, Georgia

Public Art : Five Points Sculpture

Sculptor: © George Beasley

Date: 1996

Description: A smaller version and interpretation of the sculpture the adjacent Five Points Monument. The sculpture, made from bronze and steel, displays texts about the history and destination of each of the five streets forming the intersection: Peachtree, Edgewood, Decatur, Whitehall (South Peachtree), and Marietta. Bronze panels reference the area’s history through text, maps, and the written word.

Location: Adjacent to the Five Points intersection of Peachtree, Marietta and Decatur Streets and Edgewood Avenue in Atlanta, Georgia, USA. (Near the Five Points Monument).

Inscriptions :

 

Marietta Street
Marietta Road was part of
the route between Marietta, The County Seat of Cobb
and Decatur
The County Seat of Dekalb ?
and predates Atlanta (1837)
by nearly a decade.

Peachtree Street
The name "Peachtree" came
from
"Standing Peachtree"
An Indian Village on
the Chattahoochee River
The original Peachtree Street
starts at Five Pointss and follows
Peachtree Ridge to the route of
the old Indian Trails Leading
Into the Georgia Mountains.

Whitehall Street
The so called Peachtree Street S.E.
route led to the
old Alabama Road.

The name derived from
White Hall
once a tavern and stagecoach stop,
located in what is now
West End

[COMMENT0000000025]

 

RSS  Public-Art-Around-The-World

 

If All Else Fails, Search!