Public Art : Floating Stone (also known as Kugel -
'Water - That on which all life turns')
Sculptor: © Richard Williamson
Sculptor's website : www.floatingstones.com.au
Description: The floating stone is an oribicular
granite green sphere which floats and spins on a microfilm of water.
Date Unveiled: 2006
Location: The floating stone can be found spinning in
the front of the Bunbury City Council grounds, at the corner of Prinsep and Wittenoom Streets, Bunbury,
Your local water supplier
Richard Williamson crafted the stone.
The location was chosen because it is less
than 100 metres from the site of Bunbury's
first public well, excavated through
basalt more than 100 years ago.
The rotating 1500mm diameter green sphere
(a combination of brecciated marble and granulitic schist)
sits on a raised base of black granite
surrounded by a porous pavement of local
basalt. The sphere rotates on a film of
pressurised water and its direction
can be changed by the
touch of a hand.
The colour and wave pattern of the
sphere promotes the water theme and
reflects AQWEST's logo and corporate
colours. The sphere promotes water
conservation as it uses very little water
and even recycles the rainfall that
fals upon it. The sphere and base
weigh over 10 tonnes
The Floating Stone was a gift to the
community of Bunbury from AQWEST Bunbury
Water Board. The stone celebrates the
board's 100th year of service to Bunbury
and the close long term working
relationship between the board and
the City of Bunbury.
In 1880 the first bore was drilled in Bunbury to provide fresh water for a brewery located
on Carey Street. In order to get to the water the drillers had to break through basalt rock. The owner of the
brewery occassionally allowed locals to use the bore.
The Bunbury Water Board (AQWEST) was established in 1905, to obtain, treat and distribute water for the people
Using $3000 the water board borrowed from the government they drilled a deep underground bore which supplied the
folks with fresh water until the early 1920's. This was known as the Old Town Well.
In 1924 a concrete water storage tank was constructed on Boulters Heights for local use but the water wasn't
treated until 1966.