Public art: French Memorial plaque
Description: The French Memorial is a bronze plaque
set in a granite rock approximately 5ft high and 3ft wide.
Date Unveiled: The French Memorial was unveiled on
the 1st November 1979 by the then Ambassador of France, M.Pierre Carrund, in celebration of the 150th anniversary
of the settlement of Western Australia.
Location: The memorial is located near the Cottesloe
Surf Club and the Indiana Tea House on Marine Parade, Cottesloe, Western Australia.
A French survey vessel under Lieutenant Cammander Milius was cast ashore on the beach near this spot on
the morning of 19th June, 1801.
CAPTAIN HAMELIN of the Naturaliste, which was anchored between Rottnest and Swanbourne, sent Lieutenant
Cammander Milius to survey Carnac Island and Garden Island on 18th June while Francois Heirisson was
surveying the Swan River.
On the way back to the Naturaliste Milius' party ran into a north west gale and was cast ashore.
The survey party took the opportunity to survey around the Cottesloe region while they were
One group walked along the beach to the mouth of the river where they planted a French tricolour to
alert Heirisson of their presence. The main party went inland to the Swan River where they located
certain Aboriginal camps and examined the flora and fauna.
Unveiled by HIS EXCELLENCY M.PIERRE CARRAUD, Ambassador to France. 1st November 1979, the
sesquicentennial year of Western Australia.