Great Wall of China blocks
Public Art : Great Wall of China blocks
Description: A series of granite blocks which now
make up part of the curb on Charles Street, that were reputed to have come from the Great Wall of China in the
A LINK WITH CHINA?
The story goes that these granite blocks were brought to Tasmania in 1824 by Captain Waddle, of the 325
ton brig 'Amboyna'. He used the blocks , collected from China, reputedly from the Great Wall, to
ballast his ship which carried a cargo of tea, sugar and soap.
It appears that Captain Waddle wanted to construct a kerb around the house he had built at 218 Charles
Street. As his wish was refused by the local authorities, he used the ship's ballast to do the job
In 1988, Launceston City Council constructed this roundabout and rebuilt the road. Great care was taken
to ensure that the granite blocks were laid exactly as the captain had done all those years ago.