King Rama VI Monument
Public Art: King Rama VI Monument
Sculptor: © Corrado Feroci (1892-1962) also known as
Description: The monument was built in honor of King
Rama VI, also known as Mongkutklao or King Vajiravudh (1881 -1925).The monument features a bronze statue of King
Vajiravudh standing in his ceremonial uniform with a sword, on a high pedestal flanked by fountains.
Date Unveiled: The King Rama VI monument was
completed with the help of four Thai artists on 7th of June, 1941 and was inaugurated on 27th of March, 1942.
Location: the King Rama VI monument can be found at
the entrance to Lumpini Park, Bangkok, Thailand.
In the 1920's King Rama VI asked the Italian Government if it was possible to send an Italian
artist to Thailand to help teach and promote art in his country. The artist was none other than Corrado Feroci, who
would later be given the task of designing the monument to the King.
In 1925, King Rama VI donated a huge plot of land called Saladaeng, for use as a public park and
exhibition area. It is at the entrance to this park, named Lumpini, that his monument stands.
The park was named Lumpini Park after Lumbini in Nepal, the birthplace of Buddha.
In 1911 King Rama established the Boy Scouts in Thailand.