No 7 Elementary Flying Training School memorial
Public Art: No 7 Elementary Flying Training School
Designed by: Unknown
Date unveiled: The No 7 Elementary Flying Training
School memorial was unveiled by Group Captain M. Cottrell on the 21st of June, 1992.
Location: The memorial is located near the car hire
carpark at the Launceston Airport, 201 Evandale Road, Western Junction, Tasmania, Australia.
This memorial is dedicate to those persons who serve or trained at the No 7 Elementary Flying Training
School, Western Junction, now Launceston Airport, from its establishment in August 1940.
GROUP CAPTAIN M.COTTRELL D.F.C.
Director of support services logistics command
21st June 1992
R.A.A.F. Association Tasmania Division
Background of the No 7 Elementary Flying Training School:
Following the outbreak of World War II the Western Junction aerodrome (now the Launceston Domestic Airport) was
taken over by the Royal Australian Air Force and they established Tasmania's only RAAF Flying base. It was named
the No 7 Elementary Flying Training School (7 E.F.T.S.).
The school operated from 29th August, 1940 until the 31st of August, 1945 in which over 1800 pilots had been
trained. Over one third of the pilots trained there would lose their lives either whilst training at other bases or
during active service.Ten pilots actually died at the No 7 while based there.
During the RAAF take over, hangars, barracks, a hospital and mess were built.
After the war many of the De Havilland Tiger Moths and hangars used by the School were sold via