Olympic Torch Sculpture
Public Art : Olympic Torch Sculpture
Chainsaw Sculptor : © Professor David A Hay
Date : The Olympic Torch Sculpture was
erected on the 3rd July, 2000.
Location : Allambie Park on Giblett street, Manjimup,
Description: A chainsaw carving of two hands
clutching the Olympic torch.
History Of The Sydney Olympic Torch Relay : The Olympic torch
relay was introduced in 1936 by Carl Diem and has become part of the modern Olympics ever since. The ceremony
begins with the lighting of the Olympic torch at Olympia in Greece several months before the host
country's opening celebrations. The torch then is carried by a who's who of well known athletes, celebrities
and politicians around the host country before arriving at the central stadium where it is used to ignite the
In 2000 the Olympic Torch Relay began with the lighting of the torch in Greece on the 10th of May.
The relay around Australia began at Uluru and then travelled for 100 days and 27,000kms, ending in Sydney and into
the safe hands of Cathy Freedman who lit the cauldron. It was the longest Olympic Torch Relay in Olympic history.
Along it's journey, the torch passed through the town of Manjimup where an evening celebration was held in its
honor. The sculpture was erected in the same year as a reminder of that day.
Erected to celebrate
The Sydney 2000
Olympic Torch Relay
passage through the
Shire of Manjimup
3 July 2000
Shire President - Keith Liddelow
Chainsaw Sculptor - Professor David A Hay
Timber donated by CALM Forest Resources, Southern Forest