Pont Alexandre III
Public Art : Statues on the Pont Alexandre III
Architects : Joseph Marie Cassien-Bernard and Gaston
Sculptors: Featuring the works of © Emmanuel Frémiet,
Gustave Michel, Alfred Lenoir, Georges Gardet, Clément Steiner, Pierre Granet, Jules Coutan,
Laurent Marqueste , Jules Dalou and Georges Récipon.
Description : The Pont Alexandre III is an arch bridge (Art Nouveau style) that connects the Champs-Élysées quarter and the Invalides and Eiffel Tower
quarter. It is opulently decorated with sculptures of cherubs and nymphs by various sculptors. At either end
of the bridge are 4 large guilded statues sitting high on 17m (56ft) high granite pillars (which double as
counter weights for the bridge). It was built as a symbol of Russian/ French friendship and commissioned for
the 1900 World Fair.
Right Bank : On the right bank the guilded statues include Renommée des
Sciences (Sciences) and the Renommée des Arts (Arts) which were both the work of Emmanuel Frémiet. At their bases
are La France Contemporaine ("Contemporary France") by Gustave Michel and France de Charlemagne ("France of
Charlemagne") by Alfred Lenoir. The lions group are the work of Georges Gardet.
Left Bank : On the left bank the guilded statues include the Renommée du Commerce
(Commerce) by Pierre Granet and the Renommée de l'Industrie (Industry) by Clément Steiner. At their bases are
France de la Renaissance ("France of the Renaissance") by Jules Coutan and La France de Louis XIV ("France of Louis
XIV") by Laurent Marqueste. The lions groups are the work of Jules Dalou.
At the centre of the arches are the Nymphs of the Seine with the arms of France and the Nymphs of
the Neva with the arms of Imperial Russia. Both nymphs are completed in hammered copper over sculptures created by
Location : The Pont Alexandre III spans
the Seine between the 7th and 8th arrondissements, from Invalides to avenue Winston Churchill, leading to the
Date Unveiled : The Pont Alexandre III was
inaugurated on the 14th April during the Universal Exposition of 1900.
Trivia : The bridge is named after Tsar Alexander
On the 7th October 1896 the first stone was laid by Tsar Nicholas II (Alexander's son).