Soudan Contingent Plaques
Public Art : Soudan Contingent Plaques
Also known as : Sudan Contingent Plaques
Description: Two brass plaques commemorating the
volunteers from the colony of New South Wales who, following the death of General Charles Gordon, assisted in
the Sudan War.
Date Unveiled: The first plaque 1885 and the second
Location: The plaques can be found on the wall in the
forecourt of the Sydney Opera House, Macquarie street, Sydney, NSW, Australia.
The New South Wales
contingent for the Soudan War
(consisting of some 750 men & 225 horses)
Embarked on the troopships
"Australasian" & ""Iberia"
at the wharves on the
North East side of the Circular Quay on March 3 1885.
The Contingent returned to Sydney
in the troopship "Arab"
on June 23 1885.
This Memorial Donated by Thomas Gunning Esq.
the Centenary of the departure of
the New South Wales Contingent
for the Soudan on 3rd March 1885
Air Marshall Sir James Rowland KBE,DFC,AFC
Governor of New South Wales
unveiled this plaque on 3rd March 1985
following a parade at Victoria Barracks Paddington
and then leading a march through Sydney
of units of the Royal Australian Navy,
the Australian Regular Army and the Army Reserve,
successors of the original contingent.
LEST WE FORGET