Statue of Saints Norbert, Wenceslas and Sigismund
Public Art: Statue of Saints Norbert of Xanten,
Wenceslas and Sigismund
Sculptor: © Josef Calanza Max (January 16th,
1804 - June 18th, 1855)
Description: The group feature statues of Saint
Norbert of Xanten (Middle), Saint Wenceslas (left) and Saint Sigismund (right).
Date Unveiled: The statue was unveiled in 1853
under the patronage of the art loving abbott of Strahov Monastery, Dr Jeronym Zeidler.
In memory of St. Norbert, a holy patriach and canon of the Order of Premonstratensians and a patron
of the Kingdom of Bohemia, in the year 1853, placed for the third time, with the statues of the
venerable kings St. Wenceslas and St. Sigismund, under auspices of Jeroným Zeidler, abbot of
St. Wenceslas, martyr, prince and patron of Bohemia. The grace and consolation of the land.
St. Sigismund, martyr, king of Burgundy, patron of Bohemia and eternal warrior of the Kingdom of
Location: The group can be found on Charles
Trivia: Since 1965 all the statues on Charles Bridge
have systematically been replaced with replicas. The originals now reside in Prague's national Museum.
In 1848 during the revoluntionary days the bridge came
under attack and some of the statues were damaged by cannon fire.
Saint Norbert is one of the Patron Saints of Czech and the protector of expectant mothers and
advocate for childless marriages.
During the devastating September flood of 1890 the Charles bridge was badly damaged. The
fifth pillar holding up the statues of St Ignatius of Loyola and St Xavier was partly damaged resulting in the
statues tumbling into the river. The St Ignatius was replaced with a statue of St Cyril and Methodius by
sculptor Karel Dvorak between 1928-1939 and the Xavier statue was replaced by a replica by Cenek Vosmik in
Charles Bridge Background: The gothic Charles Bridge,
which crosses the Vitava river, began construction in 1357 under the reign of King Charles IV and was
completed in the beginning of the 15th century. The bridge replaced the Judith Bridge that had been damaged beyond
repair during a flood in 1342. It was originally named the Stone or Prague bridge but became known as the Charles
Bridge around 1870. Until 1841 it was the only connection between Prague castle and Prague's Old Town.
The bridge is decorated with 30 Baroque statues of saints and patron saints. The statues were
erected on the bridge pillars between 1683 and 1714 and were all created by prominent Bohemian sculptors of