The Real Seat sculpture
Public Art : The Real Seat sculpture
Sculptor: © Mehdi Rasulle
Sculptor's Website: www.mehdirasulle.com
Description: The Real Seat sculpture features two
movie reels at the end of a film strip inspired seat. The sculpture is in honor of the original site of the
Broadway theatre, which was located outside the Barber Shop on the corner of Harper Street and Albany Highway and
replaces an existing seat.
Date Unveiled: June, 2012
Location: The Real Seat can be found on the corner of
Harper St and Albany Highway, Victoria Park, Western Australia.
History of the Broadway Theatre : The Broadway, a
1200 seat cinema in Victoria Park, was built in 1927. Soon after it was opened it was taken over by J.R.Johnson who
already controlled three other cinemas in Victoria Park. The building was designed exactly like the Premier Theatre
in East Perth and featured presssed metal ceilings, a blue curtain and artifical flowers in baskets. In 1939 it had
a renovation and was renamed New Broadway. During the redesign a little miscalculation in design meant that
people in the rear row of the dress circle walked through the lightbeam. In response they placed the projectors a
foot higher to lift the beam, which resulted in the projectionist having problems in threading the machines and
changing the carbon. In 1948, when the venue was sold to the Goldfields Theatres chain, an open air screening
garden was added. The New Broadway closed it's doors in 1964 and was converted to a supermarket.