The Stephenson Grand Army of the Republic Memorial
Public Art: The Stephenson Grand Army of the Republic
Also Known As: Dr. Benjamin F. Stephenson
Sculptor: © John Massey Rhind
Description: The 25 foot bronze and granite memorial
was erected in honor of Dr Benjamin F Stephenson who founded the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) an organization
for Civil War veterans. From 1866 until 1959 the GAR was quite a political force, lobbying for higher pensions for
Civil War veterans and assisting widows and wounded soldiers. The organisation was dissolved following the death of
Albert Woolson, the last Civil War Soldier, in 1959. He was 109.
The bronze statues include; Fraternity , a statue of a soldier and a sailor with a
bronze portrait of Stephenson underneath; Charity, a statue of a woman protecting her child with the words "The
greatest of these is charity" underneath; Loyalty , a statue of a woman with a drawn sword and shield with
the words "Who knew no glory but his country's good" underneath .
Date Unveiled: Dedicated on July 3rd, 1909
Location: The Grand Army of the Republic Memorial is
located at the intersection of 7th Street, C Street, and Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W., in the Penn Quarter
neighborhood of Washington, D.C. USA.