Public Art: No 7 Elementary Flying Training School memorial
Designed by: Unknown
Description: The memorial features a mounted set of Tiger Moth airplane blades and a plaque.
Date unveiled: The No 7 Elementary Flying Training School memorial was unveiled by Group Captain M. Cottrell on the 21st of June, 1992.
Location: The memorial is located near the car hire car park at the Launceston Airport, 201 Evandale Road, Western Junction, Tasmania, Australia.
This memorial is dedicated to those persons who serve or trained at the No 7 Elementary Flying Training School, Western Junction, now Launceston Airport, from its establishment in August 1940.
GROUP CAPTAIN M.COTTRELL D.F.C.
Director of support services logistics command
21st June 1992
R.A.A.F. Association Tasmania Division
Background of the No 7 Elementary Flying Training School: Following the outbreak of World War II the Western Junction aerodrome (now the Launceston Domestic Airport) was taken over by the Royal Australian Air Force and they established Tasmania’s only RAAF Flying base. It was named the No 7 Elementary Flying Training School (7 E.F.T.S.).
The school operated from 29th August 1940 until the 31st of August, 1945 in which over 1800 pilots had been trained. Over one-third of the pilots trained there would lose their lives either whilst training at other bases or during active service. Ten pilots actually died at the No 7 while based there.
During the RAAF take over, hangars, barracks, a hospital, and mess were built.
After the war, many of the De Havilland Tiger Moths and hangars used by the School were sold via tenders.